Friday, June 27, 2008


Hi, it's Toby. I'm just a puppy but maybe some grown up dogs can help me figure things out. People sure are weird. Our mommy got sick. Xander was soooo worried, he guarded her and tried licking her and even let me crawl up and lick her. We didn't know how she was hurt but she moaned and couldn't get up or lift her head and kept throwing up and calling for Chrissy to help her. Chrissy is her puppy, her human puppy, although he's a pretty big dog now, a grown up. I know he's her puppy because she cleans his clothes and feeds him and fusses over him pretty much like my first mommy did, and like she takes care of us. We knew how sick Mommy was and tried our best to help her. We wouldn't leave her alone either - even when she was throwing up and pushed us away. All night we laid by her and sniffed her and when she started shivering later I crawled right up on her and so did Xan and we snuggled to keep her warm even when it was waaaaay before our bedtime and we didn't even get to go outside and play or walk or have dinner or water. Xan would do ANYTHING for Mommy and I would too, and we would NEVER leave her alone when she's so sick. I know our first dog-mommies wouldn't leave US when we were sick and our human mommy wouldn't either. Well anyway, so our human brother Chrissy just left. Said he had "people to see" and couldn't hang around "all night", even when mommy begged him to at least call her an ammm-boo-lance. (Xan says that's the big scary noisy carthing that takes humans to their vet. One came to get our Gramma in winter.) Xan and I couldn't do people things like find her cell phone and make it work to talk to people and get them to help Mommy, so we did all we could by laying near her and keeping her warm and washing her with our tongues.
Is that the job God gave us? To love our human and take care of them when there's no one else who cares? Because I'm little and just a puppy but I just knew that your human is YOURS for life, to love and take care of and never leave, and Xan sure knows it and hyper silly Willow even knows it because when Mommy brought her home and couldn't open her eyes and dropped Will's leash, Will didn't even run around, she just walked inside all by herself.
I'm sorry for Mommy that she got sick, and I'm sure glad she's better (Mommy said it was a "vestibular migraine" and came from being all worried about "job" things) but I'm also glad I know what an important job God gave me. I'm PROUD to be a dog-son.
Toby

No comments: